I'm tech lead, software creator and painter. I believe in
digital innovation through multidisciplinarity.
As a longtime PHP professional and Go fan, I'm actively participating
in the Open Source scene and enjoy collaborating with people all around
I'm convinced how software is created today, can be improved.
By emphatic cross-functional-communication, the methods of Open
Source and including other non-engineering-aspects
into the process of software creation.
- Atelier Disko, CTO and Partner, since 2013
- Radify, Senior Software Engineer, 2011 – 2013
- Independent Contractor, Software Developer, 2008 – 2011
Deutsches Elektron-Synchrotron DESY,
ZDK Gesellschaft Demokratische Kultur gGmbH,
Freie Universität Berlin,
Grand Hotel van Cleef,
Kunstverein Harburger Bahnhof,
Universal Music Group
- Hochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig, Meisterschüler of Fine Arts, 2010 – 2011
- Hochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig, Diploma of Fine Arts, with honors, 2004 – 2010
Talks & Appearances
- Discovering Principles for Design System Tools, (Announcement), code.talks, Hamburg, Germany, upcoming in 2019
- Where do you build a Design System?, (Slides), UXRoundtable, uxHH, Hamburg, Germany, 2018
- Where do you build a Design System?, (Slides), Design Tools #1, Hamburg, Germany, 2018
- Where do you build a Design System?, Go User Group, Hamburg, Germany, 2018
- Code+Design, Hamburg, Germany, 2018
- Coding Design Systems, (Slides), Techcamp 2018, Hamburg, Germany, 2018
- The CakePHP Media Plugin, (Slides, Review), Cakefest, Berlin, Germany, 2009
In my early years I've been publishing some essays in the art space. Since 2010
I'm mostly writing about technical things and am the author of uncounted release announcements.
- Über das Warten im Web, Tech-Blogpost, 2016
- ETag Everything, Everything ETagg'ed, Tech-Guide, 2013
- Lithium Globalization Tutorial, Tech-Guide, 2011
- Lithium Coding Standard, Tech-Standard, 2010 - 2012
- Hacken, Cracken, Werden, Essay, 2011
- Control and Biopower, Essay, 2010
- When I was 23 I decided to dedicate my life to art #1, Art-Magazin, 2007
Important Side and Open Source Projects et al.
During my studies I was often contacted by colleagues who
asked for websites. That's when I came up with the idea of
my first startup NPIECE,
a portfolio platform, starting development of in 2008.
I've discovered CakePHP
(which was just getting big as part of the web framework hype that followed
Rails), while looking for a technological basis.
the framework did need some extra work, to be useful for the purposes of the startup. I
saw that as a chance to contribute to something impactful.
After submitting important improvements, I was accepted in to
the framework project as a Core Developer
in 2009 and continued in that role until 2010.
After CakePHP came li₃ (“the
Jimi Hendrix of frameworks”), founded by Nate, the former
Lead Developer of CakePHP who I've followed together with
Gwoo onto the new project. There I've held the role of a
Core Developer from 2009 to 2016 and became Lead Developer
of the project in 2016.
The Gettext PO/MO loader I've created as part of
my work on the globalization package inside the
framework has been friendly forked into Symfony where it is still in use.
2013 is when I've co-founded Atelier Disko a digital agency
in Hamburg in Berlin. During its foundational years I helped
to build the B-Series, a
CMS and eCommerce System, as well as - with growing needs
of the agency - custom infrastructure tooling like hoi.
In 2018 and 2019 together with Christoph I've created
DSK as a tool to create design systems.
You can reach me via email.
Phone calls can be arranged, too.
For encrypted communication download my OpenPGP Key.
My fingerprint is
761C 8678 F151 EE60 5442 1D47 C26D F2F1 18E6 34F4.
Follow me on Twitter,
fork me on GitHub or
connect with me on LinkedIn.
“We are creating technologies - then we are the technologies:
Your heart is not LIKE a pump, your heart IS a pump. It’s not like your brain
is like a computer, it is a computer. Until the next thing comes along: Now
you’re a neural net or now you’re an information system.”
– John Brockmann in an interview with Lutz Dammbeck, Das Netz, 2004